Sunday 15 November 2015

The thing I learnt to bake this week...

Madelines

Noted as tricky to cook and a bit fussy, I have always wanted to cook them after watching (believe it or not ... I could make something up but ...) Transporter with Jason Stratham and if I remember correctly Shu Qi. She cooked them for breakfast at his home.
But I digres...

I read a couple of recipes and there are a lot of flavours and advice on the process.

Here are a few things I gleaned from the lots of advice...

1. Really beat up the eggs and sugar until creamy.
2. Sift the flour (you can use plain flour, sifting is important)
3. Rest the batter in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight 
4. Freeze the tins to keep the batter as cold as possible before putting in the oven
5. Before freezing the tins brush them with a mix of melted butter (2tblspns) and flour (scant tblspn)

Recipe
3 eggs
130gcaster sugar
200g
1tspn baking powder
5tblspns milk
200g butter melted
Extra
2tblspn butter, melted
2tblspn caster sugar
1tspn cinnamon (ground)

Method
Beat the eggs and sugar until very creamy.
Sift the flour and baking powder.
Mix the milk with the cooled butter and add to the egg mix in a stream, while mixing. Fold in the flour in two batches.
Cover and leave to rest in the fridge for at least one hour, or overnight.
Heat the over to 180c and put 1 heaped tablespoon into each shell.
Place on high shelf in the oven and cook for 8 minutes. Turn the trays and cook for a further 5-7 minutes. They are cooked when they spring back in the middle and they have browned a little around the outside edge. 
Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 2 minutes. Use a fork to remove from the Pam and turn onto a rack to cool. Brush with melted butter and toss in cinnamon sugar. Serve.




2 comments:

  1. Very pretty, I don't get the attraction though, the ingredients sound fairly mundane? I am sure I'd be converted once I tried them though! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This basic recipe was a bit plain, but you can add flavours. They were light, spongelike and slightly eggy -the cinnamon and sugar while still warm was a winner

    ReplyDelete